Abbey Way Covenant Church is a church of the Evangelical Covenant Church of America.
The Evangelical Covenant Church of America has its roots in historical Christianity, as it emerged in the Protestant Reformation, in the biblical instruction of the Lutheran Church of Sweden, and in the great spiritual awakenings of the Nineteenth Century.
As a church, it holds to four common Christian affirmations including:
• We are an apostolic church. We confess the historic faith of the Apostles. We believe in Jesus Christ the Son of God, our savior and Lord. We accept the Holy Scriptures, the Old and New Testaments, as “the Word of God and the only perfect rule for faith, doctrine, and conduct.”
• We are catholic church. We see ourselves to be part of the universal church of Jesus Christ from the days of the Apostles until now.
• We are a Reformation church. We stand in the mainstream of the Sixteenth Century Protestant movement which insisted on justification by grace alone through faith alone.
• We are an evangelical church. We were born out of the revival movement that touched all of Europe in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries and came to flower for us in Nineteenth and Twentieth Century America.
Appreciating the classical Christian heritage and hungering for an ever more vital experience of new life in Christ, Covenanters affirm a number of evangelical emphases. Among these are:
• the centrality of the Word of God
• the necessity of new birth
• the Church as a fellowship of believers
• the commitment to the whole mission of the church
• the conscious dependence on the Holy Spirit
• the reality of freedom in Christ
For more information about the Evangelical Covenant Church, visit their website at www.covchurch.org